An Indian trail and the route of explorer Robert Sieur de LaSalle once crossed the school’s parking lot and front entrance. In 1861, a Civil War rally was held where school buses now load students.
The original frame structure was constructed in 1894 on land donated by Samuel Cook and additional rooms were added several years later.
In 1966, the original buildings were demolished and replaced by the current single story brick structure. In 1974, the kindergarten wing was added and, in 1983, the art/music addition was constructed.
During the summer of 1994, the building was renovated. The changes included new windows, air conditioning, video distribution equipment, telephone equipment, and networking for computers.
Points of Pride
- Indiana State Test for Educational Progress Plus (ISTEP+) Exemplary School
- Indiana Honor Student Council
- Key to the City (100 years of Education)
- Mathematics Academic Team for Hoosiers (MATH) Top Ten
- 2007 Nationally Recognized Blue Ribbon School
Spell Bowl Top Ten
- Accelerated Reader
- Beginning Alcohol & Addiction Basic Education Studies (BABES)
- Camp Tecumseh Overnight
- CASS (Creating a Safe School)
- Challenge Education
- Diversity Awareness
- Fluent Reading Our Goal (FROG)
Students will improve writing across the curriculum.