Family and Consumer Sciences
Learn well... Live well...
"Family and Consumer Sciences Education empowers individuals and families across the life span to manage the challenges of living and working in a diverse global society. Our unique focus is on families, work, and their interrelationships." - Mission Statement of Family and Consumer Sciences Division of the American Vocational Association.
The mission of Family and Consumer Sciences Education is to prepare students for family life, work life, and careers in Family and Consumer Sciences Education by providing opportunities to develop the knowledge, skills, attitudes, and behaviors needed for:
- Strengthening the well-being of individuals and families across the life span.
- Becoming responsible citizens and leaders in family, community, and work settings.
- Promoting optimal nutrition and wellness across the life span.
- Managing resources to meet the material needs of individuals and families.
- Balancing personal, home, family, and work lives.
- Using critical and creative thinking skills to address problems in diverse family, community, and work environments.
- Successful life management, employment, and careers development.
- Functioning effectively as providers and consumers of goods and services.
- Appreciating human worth and accepting responsibility for one's actions and success in family and work life.
It's not the same old Home Ec.!
student-centered curriculum with emphasis on hands-on involvement,
focus on practical problem solving skills in real-life applications,
activities that build skills for family, workplace, and community settings,
activities that aid students in planning the transition from school to career,
increased involvement in developing basic academic educational goals for all learners,
learning environments, including process-based learning, that meet developmental needs of students.
Indiana Department of Education