Valparaiso High School first opened its doors in 1874 on the site of the current Central Elementary. In 1927, the high school moved to what is now Benjamin Franklin Middle School. The current building opened in 1972, and since then has seen some additions, such as the pool locker rooms in 1978, and the field house in 1988. In 1993, there was a $19 million addition and renovation which added more classrooms to the already modern facility. Most recently, a new roof was put on the original structure in 1997.