Substitute Teaching

                                          Applications/Certification for Substitute Teachers
                                                        in the Valparaiso Community Schools

                                                                                 Application Process

Valparaiso Community Schools is accepting applications for Substitute Teaching

The Administration of the Valparaiso Community Schools is grateful and thanks you for your interest in substitute teaching. Without your assistance and support the school district would not be able to provide critical education services to students when the regular classroom teacher is not present. Thank you!

Substitute Teacher Application Packets are available from the Central Office (Administration Building) of any Porter County school corporation. The Valparaiso Community School Corporation requires substitute teachers to have a minimum of 60 semester hours of college level credit or a degree. Completed applications are accepted throughout the school year at any of the Central Offices.

Each Application must be accompanied by a current Indiana Teacher's License or a Substitute Teaching Certificate and a copy of college transcripts. To apply online for a Substitute certificate or to renew your Teaching License please go to

The Indiana Department of Education's Licensing Verification and Information System is now known as LVIS. This new online application system has been designed with enhanced self-service features to make it easier and faster for you to apply for and receive your credentials. Here are some of the highlights of LVIS:

  • You create a personal profile that you can update as necessary.
  • You can instantly upload documents required for licensure during the application process.
  • Automatic email messages will be sent to you with updates on the status of your application.
  • As soon as your license or substitute certificate is approved you can log in to your LVIS account and print your credential.
  • Multiple licenses will be displayed on a single educator credential.
  • You can record and track your professional development and have your PGP verified by your building administrator online.

When submitting your packet to the Central Office (Administration Building), please be sure that all forms are completed and all documents are attached as required.