District » Join Our Team

Join Our Team

Are you interested in becoming a VIKING and joining our team of teachers, staff, administrators and support personnel? Our PEOPLE make the difference here at Valparaiso Community Schools. 
Visit our Human Resources page to see current open positionsWe look forward to meeting you! 



INCLUSIVE - we offer various learning opportunities across a wide range of instructional techniques and environments which are designed to benefit each student’s individual path and learning journey


EXCELLENCE - we empower educators to bring their unique teaching talents to the classroom in order to bring the best out of students, while achieving and exceeding state standards. Our efforts have led to VCS winning a myriad of awards

INNOVATIVE - we seek continuous improvement and are always finding ways to drive advancement in the ways we serve students and create an environment best suited their learning and discovery

COMMUNITY - “We Are Valpo” is more than just a slogan, it’s the way we support one another. VCS continues to benefit from the consistent, long-standing partnerships and support from City Administrators, local businesses, and so many non-profit organizations

GREAT COLLEAGUES - consistently described as a highly professional and collegial workplace by teachers who join our team from various backgrounds and other districts
GREAT STUDENTS - we enjoy truly great students who perform well on standardized testing, tally consistent attendance, and have highly involved families
CONSISTENT SUPPORT - robust support staff in place to support students and teachers, including Teacher’s Aides, English Language Learning (ELL), and paraprofessionals
SMALL CLASS SIZES - prioritized smaller class sizes across the district, with averages ranging from 22 to 25 for both elementary and secondary levels
HIGHLY TRAINED & SKILLED PERSONNEL - Counselors, Social Workers and School Resource Officers (SROs) are in place at every school
MODERN CLASSROOM ENVIRONMENT - modern classrooms featuring flexible learning spaces, modular furniture and all the needed technology
SYSTEMS & SOFTWARE - district-wide investments in top systems and software that support a world-class teaching and learning environment
RECENTLY RENOVATED - nearly all-renovated school buildings within the last ~5 years
SAFETY & SECURITY - safety and security of buildings through monitoring, physical security, 'smart' locks
    • Low deductibles for both employee-only and family coverage
    • VCS pays 80% of the premium leaving the employee with 20%
    • Low deductibles for both employee-only and family coverage
Group Life Insurance
    • Pays $1.00 a year for a benefit amount equal to 1 times your annual earnings w/ maximum benefit amount is $50K
Group LTD (Long Term Disability) Insurance
    • Pay $1.00 a year for LTD coverage. This coverage helps to replace income if the employee becomes sick or injured and cannot work. It pays 66.67% of earnings.
Flex Spending
    • Allows you to pay for qualified health care expenses using tax-free dollars. The amount you elect is deducted from your paycheck pre-tax.
Indiana Public Retirement System (INPRS)
    • Perf for classified staff
    • TRF for teachers
    • VCS pays the employee and employer portion of this retirement benefit.
Employee Funded Retirement Accounts
    • Valic 403(b) and/or 457(b)
    • Voya 403(b) and/or 457(b)