March 16, 2020
Dear Valparaiso Community Schools Families,
As we find ourselves in a time that is confusing and challenging for all of us, please know that the Valparaiso Community Schools social services team is here to support you. Now, as much as ever, it is critical that each of us attend to the social, emotional, and physical well being of the children in our care. As we collaborate in that endeavor, we would like to offer the following resources to you.
Parent Resources for Talking to Children about COVID-19
- Talking to Children About COVID-19: A Parent Resource - National Association of School Psychologists and National Association of School Nurses
- Talking with Children about Coronavirus 2019: Messages for Parents, School Staff, and Others Working with Children - Center for Disease Control
- HealthyChildren.org - American Academy of Pediatrics
- To access local services dial 211 or go to 211.org.
Current Food Resources
- Valparaiso Community Schools Free Breakfast and Lunch: Valpo Schools will be serving a free “Grab and Go” breakfast and lunch to all children 18 and under. To participate, go with your children to the parking lot between Thomas Jefferson Middle School and Thomas Jefferson Elementary School between 11:00-12:30. This service begins Tuesday, March 17 and will then run Monday through Friday. (Backpacks and Snacks will be available at the same location on Fridays.)
- Hilltop Food Pantry: This pantry is open Thursdays and Fridays 9:00-11:30 a.m. at 606 Union Street. Direct questions to (219) 477-4222.
- First United Methodist Church Christian Food Pantry: This pantry is open Mondays and Wednesday from 10:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. at 7 Chicago Street. Please bring an I.D. Direct questions to (219) 465-0207.
- Immanuel Lutheran Food Pantry: This pantry is open Tuesdays and Thursdays from 1:00-3:00 p.m. at 1700 Monticello Park. Please bring an I.D. Direct questions to (219) 462-8207.
- Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) - March2Success
- Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) - Tutoring
Crisis Support Services
- Text Crisis Hotline (text HELLO to 741741)
- The Trevor Lifeline (866-488-7386)
- Suicide Hotline (800-273-8255)
- Porter-Starke Services (219-531-3500)
- Valpo PD (219-462-2135)
- If you are experiencing a true emergency, call 911.
We also understand that you may have questions about how to proceed with school affairs while your child learns from home, and we want to reassure you that counselors and social workers will be doing their best to accommodate you in the coming weeks. During this time of extended eLearning, our team will continue with student scheduling, Naviance planning, junior class meetings, and other student touch points via technology. We will be available by phone and email Monday-Friday during regular school hours, and we will continue to contact parents immediately with any concerns. If there is anything we can do for you, please do not hesitate to reach out to us using the contact information linked below.
We are committed to supporting you during this time. Please do not hesitate to let us know how we may do so.
Director of Social Emotional Learning
Valparaiso Community Schools
(219) 531-3070 ext. 5306
Click here for VCS social services team contact information.