Performance Music Programs
Dear 5th-Grade Parents,
The middle schools are beginning the process of scheduling students for the upcoming school year. While much of the programming is consistent for incoming 6th-grade students, there is one component of the schedule that requires your input regarding your students participation in general music or performance music (Band, Choir, Orchestra). Research has shown over and over again the tremendous benefits that music education provides students, and we are presenting you with several options to consider for your child for the upcoming school year. All 6th-grade students will have music education in some form; however, what that looks like will be decided by you and your child.
In 6th grade students have four options for music instruction:
- General Music
- Band (Students must complete Summer Band before 6th grade)
- Orchestra (Students must have completed 5th grade orchestra)
Important things to note when making your decision:
- 6th grade students who opt for performance music (Band, Choir, and Orchestra) will receive instruction during one period of Allied Arts (A.A.) time for the entire school year.
- Students that opt for Band, Choir, or Orchestra will have reduced opportunities to participate in P.E. and other Allied Arts.
- All other Allied Arts classes will be randomly assigned for the other period, but will include two rotations of PE/Health.
- Students will experience most Allied Arts offerings in the course of their middle school experience.
Below is a sample 6th grade schedule with Performance Music.
*Performance Music includes Band, Choir, or Orchestra
Students who choose not to participate in Performance Music will have General Music as their musical course experience for 6th grade. They will receive the full amount of Allied Arts experiences, and will be enrolled in PE/Health for the entire school year.
Below is a sample 6th grade schedule with General Music
Because of the need to plan ahead and schedule all of these important courses, the middle schools need to know where to place your child for the upcoming school year. Please click the registration link and complete the google form by Friday, March 3. Thank you for sharing your children with us. If you have any questions, please reference the contact information below.
Orchestra Information and Contacts
- 5th grade orchestra is a prerequisite for participation in 6th grade Orchestra. Please contact an orchestra director immediately if your child is interested in Orchestra and has not completed 5th grade orchestra.
- TJMS Contact: Sherri Nord [email protected] 219-531-3140
- BFMS Contact: Chris Marolf [email protected] 219-531-3070
Band Information and Contacts
- Summer Band is a prerequisite for participation in 6th grade Band. Summer Band will run at VHS from May 31-June 16. Please contact a band director immediately for conflicts concerning Summer Band participation.
- TJMS Contact: Sam Hauter [email protected] 219-531-3140
- BFMS Contact: Wayne Coil [email protected] 219-531-3020
Choir Information and Contacts
- TJMS Contact: Andrew Rapata [email protected] 219-531-3140
- BFMS Contact: Sally Calland [email protected] 219-531-3020